The second day of the 2011 MLB Draft is a wrap and we're now through 30 rounds of a maximum 50 round draft. Teams can pick for up to 50 rounds but can pass on picks after a certain point. We put together a breakdown of the Oakland Athletics third round pick and then a summary of their fourth through sixth round picks. Here is a list of the rest of the A's picks on day two of the draft. Big thanks to Jjjsixsix at Athletics Nation for compiling this list in a FanPost. It's a great open thread for discussing the A's picks on day two.
It's interesting to note that of the A's 29 picks thus far, they have drafted two high school players and one junior college players, with the rest being division one players. The team has mixed in some high schoolers here and there in the past but this is quite the reversion to the "Moneyball era" of avoiding high schoolers.
The strategy is certainly open to questions. College players are usually a little further along in their development so you might be able to get them moving up the farm system. On the other hand, it's possible they are much closer to the peak of their potential and thus have much less upside. It's a balancing act that the A's have not really completely figured out when it comes to developing batters in their farm system. Can we expect things to change this year?
7. (226) Blake Treinen, RHP, South Dakota State
8. (256) Colin O'Connell, RHP, Cal State Fullerton
9. (286) Jace Fry, LHP, Beaverton (OR) Southridge HS
10. (316) Dusty Robinson, OF, Fresno State
11. (346) Christopher Lamb, LHP, Davidson
12. (376) Xavier Macklin, OF, North Carolina A&T
13. (406) Jacob Tanis, 3B, Mercer
14. (436) Nicholas Rickles, C, Stetson
15. (466) Thomas Walz, RHP, Kansas
16. (496) Tanner Peters, RHP, UNLV
17. (526) Sean Jamieson, SS, Canisius
18. (556) David Powers, LHP, Sam Houston State
19. (586) Eric Potter, LHP, Maryland
20. (616) Kurt Wunderlich, RHP, Michigan State
21. (646) Brandon Magee, CF, Arizona State
22. (676) Rhett Stafford, OF, Marshall
23. (706) Cecil Tanner, RHP, Georgia
24. (736) Max Kuhn, SS, Zionsville (IN) Community HS
25. (766) Chad Oberacker, CF, Tennessee Tech
26. (796) John Roberts, SS, Virginia Military Institute
27. (826) Derek Self, RHP, Louisville
28. (856) Thomas Girdwood, RHP, Elon
29. (886) Nate Eppley, RHP, Rider
30. (916) Nate Killcrease, RHP, Alabama
We'll be here for the next three days covering the 2011 MLB Draft. For more in-depth discussion about the Oakland A's head to Athletics Nation. For more general minor league and draft discussion, check out Minor League Ball and Baseball Nation.