I'm told the Raiders have just informed Kamerion Wimbley that he will be released.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) March 16, 2012
The Raiders continued their roster salary cap purging Friday by informing OLB/DE Kamerion Wimbley that he'll be released. Wimbley's agent, Joe Linta, said in an email Friday that he was unable to work out a new contract with general manager Reggie McKenzie so the Raiders decided to cut Wimbley instead.
There had been speculation that the Raiders would make this move for quite a while, but apparently the team was trying to work out a deal that would keep the 28-year old in black and silver. They weren't able to come together on a number, and on the day before $4.5 million of Wimbley's contract would become guaranteed, the Raiders cut him loose.
He was one year into a five-year, $48 million deal. He'll likely have quite a few suitors on the open market, as he had Wimbley had seven sacks, 21.5 quarterback knockdowns and 9.5 hurries last season, according to STATS LLC.
For more on the Raiders, head over to Silver and Black Pride.