Fans of the California Golden Bears will be dismayed to see that the Big Game is moving up. Way up in fact. The Bears are playing the hated Stanford Cardinal in the middle of October.
Cal and Stanford have had trouble scheduling their games on Thanksgiving because both teams have entrenched traditions that would require a lot of students to stick around that week. Because the majority of fans on each side don't really live close to their schools, that means the Golden Bears and the Cardinal could suffer from a sparsely populated Big Game that doesn't have the excitement a rivalry game deserves.
Both schools wanted the game to then be played the week before Thanksgiving, but they were then overruled by the rest of the conference members. October it is for the Bears.
Here are the rest of the opponents on the schedule. Highlights include a brutal back-to-back with Ohio State and USC (BOTH on the road) and a Friday night date with the Washington Huskies at home.
- Saturday, September 1: vs. Nevada
- Saturday, September 8: vs. Southern Utah
- Saturday, September 15: at Ohio State
- Saturday, September 22: at USC
- Saturday, September 29: vs. Arizona St.
- Saturday, October 6: vs. UCLA
- Saturday, October 13: at Washington St.
- Saturday, October 20: vs. Stanford
- Saturday, October 27: at Utah
- Friday, November 2: vs. Washington
- Saturday, November 10: vs. Oregon
- Saturday, November 17: at Oregon St.
To discuss Cal football, head to the California Golden Blogs. To discuss Stanford football, go to Rule of Tree.