It almost seems unfair that a Super Bowl team would have so many draft picks in the early rounds, but that's the position the San Francisco 49ers find themselves in. They hold five picks in the first three rounds (including one in the high second thanks to the Alex Smith trade), and with few glaring holes on the roster they can afford to shore up depth at important positions.
SB Nation's Matthew Fairburn released a three-round mock draft on Monday. Here's who he has the 49ers taking:
31. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
The 49ers need to replace Isaac Sopoaga, who left in free agency. While most view Jesse Williams as a nose tackle, he's much more than that and has the ability to play in the multiple looks that the 49ers use on defense.
34. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
I've given the 49ers Logan Ryan a few times in the first round, so this a nice value pick for a team in need of secondary help.
61. D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
The 49ers get another steal thanks to the depth of the cornerback class.
74. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
90. Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
The Michael pick is a slight head-scratcher given the presence of LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon on the depth chart, but every other pick would be a huge boon to a secondary that got exposed in the playoffs. With this draft scenario, the 49ers would be heavy favorites to get back into the Super Bowl next year.
Check out Fairburn's complete mock draft at the link below.
More from SB Nation:
• NFL mock draft: Predicting 3 full rounds
• Potential surprise picks in the NFL draft
• Will more than one QB go in the first round?
• Outsports: 4 gay NFL players not coming out
• 3 reasons to draft Geno Smith
• The next step for Mankind: Mick Foley's evolution