Team Lotto Belisol's André Greipel won Stage 4 of the 2012 Tour de France on Wednesday, taking the sprint win after a beautiful lead-out from his team. Alessandro Petacchi (Lampre-ISD) was second, with Tom Veelers (Argos-Shimano) taking third. A crash with 2.5km left in the race robbed many of the riders of their chance at victory, among them Mark Cavendish (Sky), who went down in the crash, Peter Sagan (Liquigas-Cannondale) and overall leader Fabian Cancellara, who were both trapped behind the pileup.
The General Classification standings remain largely unchanged, with Cancellara holding on to his overall lead. Things are tight at the top of the standings, but as always the big moves don't come until later in the race. Santa Rosa's Team BMC has their captain Cadel Evans, the 2011 Tour de France winner, sitting comfortable in seventh place, 17 seconds off the overall lead.
The General Classification after Stage 4:
1) Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack-Nissan 20:04:02
2) Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling +:07
3) Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma-Quickstep 4) Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team +:10
5) Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling +:11
6) Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team +:13
7) Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team +:17
8) Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale +:18
9) Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Sharp
10)Andreas Klöden (Ger) RadioShack-Nissan +:19