NHL Playoffs 2011: Sharks Eliminated 4-1 By Vancouver Canucks After Game Five Double Overtime Loss

The San Jose Sharks have been eliminated by the Vancouver Canucks four games to one after a double overtime loss in game five. For more on the series and the Sharks in general, go to Fear The Fin, SB Nation's San Jose Sharks blog.

  • Live
19 Total Updates since May 14, 2011
  • Important 4
  • Updates 16
  • Articles 3
  • All Updates 19

NHL Playoffs 2011: San Jose Sharks Eliminated By Vancouver Canucks In Game Five Overtime Loss

Joe Pavelski made a huge diving pass to Devin Setoguchi, who tapped it in to beat Roberto Luongo and give the San Jose Sharks a 2-1 lead over the Vancouver Canucks ... a lead that they'd almost hold until the end. But then, with 13.2 seconds on the clock and an empty net going, the Canucks get extended time passing, and a Ryan Kesler re-directs a shot from the point into the net, tying the game and sending it into overtime. When overtime came, the Sharks dominated most of the period, like they did for the entirety of the game, but it ended up going into double overtime.

And then .. something happened that not everybody understood at first. The puck was trickling slowly across the ice, and Kevin Bieksa shot it from the point and it slowly beat Antti Niemi on his left side. Everybody was confused, but it was indeed a good goal. The Canucks got that goal, the game-winner, and the series winner.

It was a game that was mostly dominated by the Sharks. They outshot the Canucks 56 to 34 ... and they still didn't get the win. But they never gave up, they kept fighting, and this series, despite being 4-1, will do a lot for the Sharks and their choker label. The Vancouver Canucks advance to the Stanley Cup Finals representing the Western Conference.

For now, here are the notes I took during the game, with a full, more expanded recap with all kinds of thoughts coming shortly, followed by season recaps and more as we look to next season. Stay tuned, full recap coming in the morning. These notes are unedited.

The Canucks get scoring opportunities in the very first thirty seconds, with two shots on goal, but Antti Niemi makes the save. San Jose takes the puck away into Vancouver's zone, and they get a scoring opportunity of their own, where Roberto Luongo fell down flat, the puck somewhere under him. Both teams are looking good early on, through the first five minutes, neither unit really has the edge, maybe the Sharks get the nod in that vein. The Sharks do have a couple bad giveaways though, during potential scoring opportunities. In fact, one of those giveaways goes back the other way, and the Canucks get a goal. Alexandre Burrows gets a dish from Sedin and beats an out-of-position Niemi to give the Canucks a 1-0 lead. The Sharks were very passive in the neutral zone and let the Canucks set it up. The Sharks come back and get extended time in Vancouver's zone, Kyle Wellwood controlling the puck well and setting up a couple scoring opportunities. The Sharks get it back in the Vancouver zone again and keep the pressure on, but the Canucks are playing solid defense. At 14:03, Henrik Sedin goes to the box for hooking on Ian White. Then, Ryan Kesler goes to the box for slashing and the Sharks have a 5-on-3. They play it very well, allowing minimal clears and show good passing, but Luongo makes a couple otherworldly saves and the 5-on-3 and then the man advantage is killed by, seemingly, Luongo on his own. The Sharks keep the puck in Vancouver's zone and get some more chances, the Canucks get a chance or two and Niemi makes a big save and ... the period comes to an end. The Sharks looked like 

The Sharks get a couple opportunities, and then the Canucks,  It's very balanced play, with the Sharks holding the edge in time on the forecheck with more shots, and eventually, Kevin Bieksa goes to the box for hi-sticking on Logan Couture, and the Sharks begin a power play. Devin Setoguchi makes a bad play and the Canucks get a clear ... then they clear it two more times upon entry into the zone. Then, Dan Boyle shoots from the point and ... beats Luongo, and just like that, the Sharks tie it up. Looks like Marleau deflects it in. Torrey Mithcell then gos to the box for tripping and the Canucks have their first power play. They get some early chances, but the Sharks get a couple clears. And eventually, the penalty is killed, though the Canucks had a ton of time in SAn Jose's zone, but Niemi and his blockers came up big.  Then, the Canucks are called for a too many men on the ice penalty ,and the Sharks have a power play, but it doesn't go anywhere. They have one good opportunity, but Kyle Wellwood continues his trend of being afraid to shoot, and the penalty is killed. The play is balanced, but the Canucks hold the edge as the period comes to a close, with Vancouver putting the pressure on and Todd McLellan calling a timeout to rest his team. The period ends.

At the beginning of the period, the Sharks jump ahead 2-1 when Roberto Luongo goes out to challenge Joe Pavelski. Pavelski is trailing the puck and it looks like it's going to get to Luongo first, but Pavelski dives and tips it to the right, where Setoguchi has an open net to tap it in beautifully. The Canucks respond with many, many opportunities, but Marc-Edouard Vlasic takes a horrific high stick and has to go to the locker room, but no penalty is called. It was a follow-through, so the no-call makes sense here, but Vlasic seems hurt. The Canucks continue to press hard. Wouldn't you know it, Vlasic comes back out onto the ice without even missing a shift. The Sharks actually get some more offense, playing aggressive, though the Canucks eventually move back into the San Jose zone, and get a couple scary shots off. It goes back and forth, with Vancouver getting a few good one-timers, but the Sharks playing well. The Sharks continue to clear it well, but with 15 seconds on the clock, the Canucks get three-to-four passes and set up a good scoring chance, the Canucks get a shot from the point and redirection in front of the net by Ryan Kesler ... and it's a good goal with 13.2 seconds remaining. The period comes to an end and we've got overtime.

The Canucks turn it on right away, keeping the puck in San Jose's zone for most of the first minute, getting a couple shooting opportunities. The Sharks eventually get a shot or two, but the Canucks are generally quick to get the puck back and send it into San Jose's zone. Now it looks like San Jose has taken control of the play, getting shots, Patrick Marleau is playing well especially. Luongo is forced to make an amazing glove save at one point. The Sharks keep the puck in the zone, pass it around, and Luongo has to make a diving save. The Canucks get a couple of opportunities now, and the Sharks are on their heels. The Canucks are setting up plenty of good one-timers. Daniel Sedin gets a one-on-one with Niemi, but Niemi makes the pad save. The play is going back and forth with big chances on either side. They fight for it behind Vancouver's net, and then they fight for it behind San Jose's net.  It's just back and forth, that's really all that can be said right now, no team is getting solid solo shots on goal. Ian White makes a good defensive play in front of the goal, not quite covering but getting all of his limbs in the way of the puck when it changed direction on Niemi. And then, the overtime period comes to an end, we're going to a second overtime.

No solid scoring opportunities through the first two minutes, the Sharks finally get one halfway through the third minute. The puck is spending a lot of time in the neutral zone. The Sharks get some opportunities, Logan Couture almost beats Luongo with a wrister, but Luongo barely makes the save and gets an early whistle. The Sharks get a huge opportunity, but the blocked shot goes back the other way for a breakaway, but Niemi makes a huge save. The Canucks get three shots in a row when the Sharks make three different mistakes, but Niemi stops them all. The momentum has shifted, whereas the Sharks were getting most of the chances, the Canucks start to get extended time in San Jose's zone, and then ... I'm not sure what happened. It looks like the puck was out of play, but then it comes back in and trickles into the net... or maybe it's a clean shot. Replays make it look like a clean shot. Kevin Bieksa shot it from the blueline and nobody saw it coming.    


NHL Playoffs 2011: Sharks Fall To 3-1 Series Hole In 4-2 Loss To Canucks In Game Four

The San Jose Sharks were hoping to bring momentum out of game three at home into game four, tying the series against the Canucks and heading to Vancouver with their head held high. The first period wasn't necessarily terrible, but the Sharks failed to convert on four power play attempts in said opening frame. In fact, they failed to look like they ever had the man advantage, starting with the very first power play in which the Canucks had the puck possession for a little more than half of the two-minute penalty. That trend continued into the second period, when they failed to get anything done on a power play that Raffi Torres was called for when he charged Douglas Murray in the final seconds of the opening frame.

But it wasn't truly horrible play from the Sharks. They did hold the edge in shots and Antti Niemi was looking solid ... Joe Thornton was getting things done with the puck and the lines were canceling each other out as they should. But then the penalties starting going the other way ... and after a hooking penalty from Torrey Mitchell, the Sharks were defending a 5-on-3. The Canucks scored on that in less than ten seconds to take a 1-0 lead in the game. Shortly after, they're called for too many men on the ice, and the Canucks score on their first attempt on a second 5-on-3. Then, they're called for delay-of-game, and the Canucks score again on their first shot of the 5-on-3 penalty to go up 3-0.

When Alexandre Burrows scored five minutes into the third period to give the Canucks a 4-0 lead, the game was essentially over. The Sharks didn't believe it, though, and they came back and fought, but it was too little too late. Ryane Clowe scored late in the game and Andrew Desjardins lit the lamp before that, but 4-2 was the best they were going to do.

The 5-on-3 goals were almost instant, though it's hard to really place blame when it's ... you know, a 5-on-3. Two of the three goals appeared soft, but how much blame can you put on Niemi at that point? Probably not a lot ... what's clear is that the Sharks came out and completely laid an egg. They needed to avoid those penalties and they needed to get the scoring started early. Roberto Luongo was solid when the Sharks actually had scoring opportunities, and that didn't help matters.

Joe Thornton was also injured and left the game in the third period, which does not bode well for the Sharks going forward. However, it's not as though they're out of this ... these are the two best teams in the Western Conference, and the Sharks are (hopefully) not ready to give up yet. Play reverts back to Vancouver for game five.


San Jose Sharks Demolished 7-3 In Game Two Against Vancouver Canucks

The San Jose Sharks are in a 2-0 series hole heading back home to hopefully get something going. Unfortunately, they have zero momentum after a demoralizing 7-3 loss in game two at the hands of the Vancouver Canucks. Through one period, it was an extremely matched game, and though the Canucks took the lead in period two, it was still pretty even going into the third period. But that's where things broke down.

San Jose stopped skating after pucks and started playing slowly once again. The Canucks took advantage, and got goals out of basically everybody tonight. You might think that Antti Niemi had a bad game, but he actually played well up until the team around him gave up. It was clear that the Sharks gave up after a Chris Higgins power play goal to start the third period, and it showed as Vancouver lit the lamp three more times in the period.

Ben Eager went to the penalty box for the Sharks on five separate occasions, and none of them were good penalties to take. Expect more on Eager's antics after this recap is posted, but suffice to say he didn't make up for anything by scoring late in the third, considering the way he celebrated obnoxiously and got in the face of Roberto Luongo. It will be interesting to see how much he plays in game three, if at all.

These are two teams that squandered 3-0 series leads in these playoffs and two teams that we all knew were evenly matched. This is a game that got away from the Sharks, which is surprising, but a 2-0 series lead after two home games is not surprising for the Canucks. It's not time to hit the panic button, one just has to hope that the Sharks do not continue this level of play.

Instead of recounting the thirty or forty Canucks goals in this game and the myriad of penalties for the Sharks Ben Eager, here are the notes as I took them during the game, with a more direct recap coming later on.

San Jose starts the dump-and-chase early, but they are actually chasing this time, unlike in game one. Less than two minutes in, the Sharks get a power play when Aaron Rome went to the box for tripping Joe Pavelski. After the first minute is killed, Logan Couture takes a feed from Dany Heatley right in front of the net, and makes a beautiful move to push the puck in past Roberto Luongo. Devin Setoguchi takes a high stick that isn't called, and he is hurt, but looks as though he'll return. The Sharks almost get another goal about four minutes in and some Sharks players celebrate, but the referee waves it off as it goes off the post. That was Ben Eager that almost put it in net. Raffi Torres and Ben Eager take roughing penalties at 5:40 and we've got a 4-on-4. Not much happens, though. The Canucks put on better pressure, and after we get to even strength, Joe Pavelski goes to the box for tripping. San Jose starts it off with a good clear, and then another, but with twenty seconds remaining, the Canucks have set up extended pressure in San Jose's zone. Henrik and Daniel Sedin combined to beat Antti Niemi, simple as that. It was a great feed, and Niemi had a chance to stop it, but it was too good of a set up and the game is tied with ten minutes to go in the first. Then Raffi Torres taps one in the net right in front of it after some blown coverage by the Sharks. Daniel Sedin is called for cross checking Dany Heatley, and the Sharks attack on their power play immediately. Patrick Marleau taps the puck in the net right in front of it when Joe Thornton put it in front from the side. The referees take an otherworldly amount of time to decide that it's good, though it really only takes one glance to see it. The teams exchange extended time on the forecheck in the following minutes, but nobody has any solid chances until the final two and a half minutes, both teams exchange chances, while Niemi and Luongo are forced to make great saves. Luongo goes flat on his stomach but still happens to get his glove in front of a puck somehow. As the period comes to an end, the official misses a high stick that drew blood on Joe Thornton right in front of him.

Pretty uneventful first three minutes, the Sharks getting more time in Vancouver's zone, but neither team gets any effective scoring opportunities. The first four minutes pass, Ian White goes down with an injury. The play is very balanced, Niemi has to make a couple good saves and the Sharks don't get a shot on goal for some time. It's a slower pace this period. Vancouver's time in San Jose's zone appears to be a lot more threatening than the time San Jose is spending in Vancouver's. As I type that, the Canucks take the puck across ice and Kevin Bieksa gets a goal on Antti Niemi to put the Canucks up 3-2. The Sharks just look complacent again. Play continues at a slow pace, the Sharks get a couple more chances to their credit, but Niemi is forced to make two great saves before the final two minutes are reached.  For some reason, Patrick Marleau drops the gloves against Kevin Bieksa and both go off for fighting. Then, Ben Eager comes on the ice and gets penalized for hitting Daniel Sedin, he goes for boarding. 28 seconds of the power play is killed and then the period comes to an end.

The Sharks kill the remainder of the penalty with good clears. The Canucks are challenging the Sharks, like they did in game one. They've got the lead, and they're still fighting and attacking, and the Sharks are not getting the scoring opportunities they need. Eager goes to the penalty box for the second time, this one for tripping, though it's a soft call. The power play comes through, and Chris Higgins beats Niemi, who is perfectly screened. The Canucks have a 4-2 lead and the Sharks are on their heels. The Sharks have a good opportunity but are called for too-many-men on the ice and the Canucks are on a power play. They utilize good passing and get the goal no problem, the Sharks offer no resistance at that point. Daniel Sedin sinks it in to give the Canucks a 5-2 lead. The Sharks have given up on this game, as they don't even get time in Vancouver's zone, the Canucks come back and score again, this time it's Aaron Rome. The Sedins have taken the game over. Ryane Clowe goes to the box for roughing and the Canucks get yet another power play. With only a couple seconds remaining, they set up a good pass and beat Niemi again. 7-2 Canucks. It looks like Ben Eager scores and then     


Sharks Blow Third Period Lead, Fall To Canucks 3-2 In Game One

Patrick Marleau gets a beautiful tip-in from a Dan Boyle soft wrister from the point to give the San Jose Sharks a 2-1 lead over the Vancouver Canucks heading into the third period. It was a strong second period from the Sharks that really only broke down in the final minutes, when Vancouver put the puck on Antti Niemi multiple times, but he held fast. They had the lead, and they looked good through the first forty minutes of play. The crowd was quiet, Roberto Luongo was mildly shook, and, while no lead is ever safe and overconfidence is something to be wary of, they really should have been confident heading into the third period.

Perhaps they were, perhaps they weren't, all that's clear is that they apparently forgot how to play top-level hockey when they took the ice for the final frame. All credit to the Canucks, both third period goals that would eventually lift them to the 3-2 final score were beautiful setups with fantastic passes, but the Sharks played that third period like they didn't care. That isn't to say that they definitely did not care, that's just the best way to put it metaphorically. It's stupid to insinuate that they actually didn't, but there was not a lot to like about the Sharks play in that third period.

Alex Burrows drove the net and sent Kevin Bieksa a beautiful feed that tied the game. This was followed by a Dany Heatley penalty for elbowing (which may or may not have been a good call, certainly doesn't look like there's any intent there, appeared incidental, but Heatley isn't the kind of player to ever get the benefit of the doubt) and one of the best cross-ice passes of these playoffs from Christian Ehrhoff to Henrik Sedin, who buries it to gie the Canucks the lead. 

The other two goals were scored by Joe Thornton, when he got things started in the first intercepting a mis-played puck by Luongo to fire it in unassisted, and Maxim Lapierre, who scored early in the second, taking advantage of yet another mis-played puck, this one by Niemi. Speaking of Niemi, to his credit, he looked good once again, but was not helped much by his team.  He stopped 35-of-38 for a .921%, while Luongo stopped 27-of-29 for a .931%.

How discouraged should the Sharks be, when it all comes down to it? They really are the only ones who can answer that kind of question, but they have a couple days to sit on it. The Canucks did not change really anything about their game going into the third period, the Sharks just stopped fighting for the puck, and stopped playing with urgency. They were already slightly on their heels early on in the game, going with the dump-and-chase, sans the chase.

Below is the full bit of notes I took during the game, just to give a bit of a play-by-play. These notes are unedited.

Sharks win the faceoff after much jockeying, and the two teams exchange time in eachothers' zone. Through four minutes, neither team is giving up any solid opportunities, there's no terrible giveaways, etc. The Canucks get in on Antti Niemi a few times, but he makes solid saves. San Jose seems like they're more content to dump the puck away for some reason. At 10:51, Douglas Murray is called for hi sticking and the Sharks are on a penalty kill. The Sharks play well within their own zone and kill the penalty without getting as many clears as you might think. No shots on goal for the Canucks on that power play.  Then, Ben Eager goes to the box for interference and it's another weak call in which he was making run-of-the-mill contact and the Canucks player hit Roberto Luongo, so the Canucks are on another power play. It's very physical play thus far, the matchups from a player-to-player standpoint are all hard-fought. Near the end of the period, Luongo goes behind the net to play the puck, and sends it toward one of his players, but it's stolen by Joe Thornton, who shoots it immediately and gets it between the pads of a diving and sliding Luongo. The period ends with the Sharks being outshot 11-10, outhit 15-12, and losing in the circle 12-5. However, it was a very balanced period, the Sharks need to do a better job when entering the Vancouver zone, they're dumping pucks in from far, far back.

Balanced play for the first minute or so, but the Canucks get on the board quickly. The Sharks are sloppy in their own zone and they lose sight of Maxim Lapierre, who is in front of Niemi and taps it in before anybody sees him. Niemi made the bad choice to play the puck up the boards, and thats where the Sharks lost sight of it. Following the goal, Kent Huskins is called for hooking and the Sharks are on a penalty kill once again. The power play is uneventful though, and the Sharks get the kill without any solid chances by the Canucks. That's three power plays for Vancouver, and none for San Jose, and I say that right as a Sharks player gets cross checked in front of Luongo and the referees don't call it. The Sharks pass it back and forth in their own zone and wait for it, letting the Canucks come in. Then, Joe Pavelski is lit up in the neutral zone by Chris Higgins, and shortly after that, Mason Raymond goes to the penalty box for holding. Near the end of the power play, Dan Boyle puts a soft wrister on the net, and Patrick Marleau taps it in to put the Sharks up 2-1. With five minutes to go, the Sharks are keeping good pressure on and playing much better hockey in comparison to the first period. The Canucks get a could good opportunities with five minutes to go, then the Sharks get some of their own for about a minute, and the Canucks get a couple more opportunities. There's about a ten second battle right in front of Antti Niemi, who makes two great saves with very limited space, and then the Canucks set up another chance and Niemi has to make another great save. San Jose is really out of sorts with under two minutes to go, they need a puck stoppage and eventually they get one. The end of the period is dominated by a swarming Canucks team, but Niemi really comes up big and the period ends with San Jose having dominated at least 15 minutes of it. The Canucks still out-shoot the Sharks 25-22, but San Jose had a 13-5 margin in the faceoffs to 18-17 overall.

San Jose is aggressive early on and Luongo is forced to make a big save early on. Then, the Canucks get started with their lower lines, the only line to score at this point, and they force Niemi to make a great kick save. San Jose looks like they're going into a pseudo defense mode and don't attack the puck in Vancouver's zone for the first four minutes of play. Eventually, that level of play hurts the Sharks, and the Canucks set up a great pass to tie the game. Alex Burrows drives the net and feeds Kevin Bieksa, who buries it. Then, Dany Heatley goes to the box for elbowing Raffi Torres and the Sharks are on another penalty kill. The power play comes through and the Canucks take the lead Henrik Sedin gets the goal. The Canucks are playing like a team is supposed to with a one-goal lead: they're attacking and keeping aggressive, which the Sharks neglected to do coming into the third period. They continue to attack and the Sharks really only have one scoring chance, with about five minutes left, when Kyle Wellwood put the puck at the net. With under three minutes to go, Dan Boyle goes to the box and then Lapierre goes as well for embellishing. The Sharks go with the empty net during the 4-on-4, but they continue their style of "dump and chase" that hasn't worked all game. They lose, 3-2.    

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SB Nation Bay Area

You must be a member of SB Nation Bay Area to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SB Nation Bay Area. You should read them.

Join SB Nation Bay Area

You must be a member of SB Nation Bay Area to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SB Nation Bay Area. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.