The San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints square off in Saturday's NFC Divisional Round matchup in what will be the 72nd meeting between the two teams. The Saints and 49ers were division rivals for many years before the latest round of realignment moved the Saints to the NFC South. This will mark the first time they have met in the playoffs. Here is a rundown of their matchup history.
Matchups: 71 - First postseason matchup
Series Record: 49ers lead series 45-24-2
49ers Home Record vs. Saints: 49ers lead series 22-11-2
First Meeting: 10/22/67, 49ers win 27-13, at SF
Last Meeting: 9/20/10, Saints win 25-22, at SF
Current Streak: Lost 6
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 8 - (9/15/73 - 11/27/77)
Longest Saints Win Streak: 6 - (10/20/02 - Present)
Most 49ers Points: 42 (11/22/93): 42-7 at SF
Most Saints Points: 43 (11/23/69): 43-38 at NO
49ers Shutouts: 5, Last on 1/6/02, 38-0, at NO
Saints Shutouts: None
The 49ers and Saints also have some connections on their rosters and with their coaching staffs. The most prominent player connection is center Jonathan Goodwin, who played for New Orleans from 2006 to 2010. The most prominent coaching connection is Vic Fangio having worked as linebackers coach from 1986 to 1994 with their famous "Dome Patrol." 49ers wide receiver coach John Morton also spent some time in New Orleans in 2006 as passing game coordinator/offensive assistant. Here is a rundown of all the connections between the teams:
- 49ers assistant secondary coach Greg Jackson spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe (2004-06).
- DT Ricky Jean Francois played in 25 games (9 starts) at LSU and was named 2007 BCS National Championship Game Defensive MVP in win over Ohio State.
- 49ers FB Moran Norris was a fourth round draft choice of the Saints in 2001 and played for them from 2001-02, serving as a blocker and as a contributor on special teams.
SAINTS-NOR CAL CONNECTIONS
- Saints head coach Sean Payton was born in San Mateo, CA.
- Saints DT Aubrayo Franklin played with the 49ers from 2007-10.
- Saints G Carl Nicks is a native of Salinas, CA.
- Saints CB Leigh Torrence played at Stanford University from 2000-
- Saints DE Cameron Jordan (2007-10) and G Brian De La Puente (2003-07) played at Cal. De La Puente was with the 49ers during training camp in 2010.
- THE U - 49ers RB Frank Gore and Saints LB Jonathan Vilma were teammates at Coral Gables (FL) High School as well as at the University of Miami (FL) (2001-03).
- BUCKEYE BROTHERS - 49ers S Donte Whitner (2003-05), T Alex Boone (2005-08), WR Ted Ginn Jr. (2004-06) and LB Larry Grant (2006-07) played together with Saints S Malcolm Jenkins (2005-08) at Ohio State, while Whitner and Saints DE Will Smith (2000-03) were teammates in 2003 with the Buckeyes.
- ROCKY TOP - 49ers LB Parys Haralson played with Saints DE Turk McBride and WR Robert Meachem from 2003-05 and CB Jabari Greer in 2003 at Tennessee.