SB Nation released its latest 2011 NFL Mock Draft and the 49ers pick has changed for the second straight week. After predictions of Prince Amukamara two weeks ago and Von Miller last week, this week the SB Nation mock draft has the 49ers selecting Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus:
7. San Francisco 49ers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama. Quarterback is a need, but Newton doesn’t fit Jim Harbaugh’s personality or offensive system. San Francisco has bigger problems defending the pass than the run, but Dareus can help the team out in both areas.
Dareus is the second rated defensive tackle behind Auburn’s Nick Fairley. However, he played defensive end in Alabama’s 3-4, a defense the 49ers will continue to utilize under new defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Mocking the Draft put together a scouting report on Dareus in which they said:
It’s not often 3-4 defensive ends come along who are as polished, strong and athletic as Dareus. Playing end in Alabama’s pro-style 3-4 defense, Dareus should start as a rookie if a team with the same scheme picks him up.
He’s a good pass rusher for such a big player, but most teams will like him for his run-stopping ability. Dareus is powerful throughout his frame and should be able to hold the edge well.
The 49ers currently start Isaac Sopoaga and Justin Smith at their two defensive end positions surrounding nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin. They also have Ricky Jean-Francois who has received a lot of backup playing time to Franklin, but could also swing out to defensive end. Whatever the case, Sopoaga is a guy the 49ers will eventually be looking to replace. Dareus would seem likely to slot in immediately at left defensive end.
Here are the first six picks of the SB Nation mock draft:
1. Carolina – Nick Fairley, DT
2. Denver – Patrick Patterson, CB
3. Buffalo – Blaine Gabbert, QB
4. Cincinnati – Da’Quan Bowers, DE
5. Arizona – Von Miller, OLB
6. Cleveland – A.J. Green, WR