We were so very close to seeing another tie between the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams. But the latter decided that their kicker was going to have a good day in spite of the last game, while David Akers kept being bad - as he has been all season. Below, here's some notes I took during the game. Unedited and generally lacking substance, they're a good placeholder for things until I get some more recaps up.
- Colin Kaepernick is proving to be much, much more accurate than ever advertised. He doesn't always make the best decisions, and he doesn't always get the ball off when he needs to, but he's throwing the ball exactly where it needs to be.
- The loss of Kendall Hunter did clearly change the gameplan with the running game. You need only look at the stat sheet to figure out how. It's very clear that the running game was much less dynamic without him.
- Kaepernick's velocity accounted for the second drop of the day, on that 3rd-and-11 play to Michael Crabtree.
- Aldon Smith is now in some pretty good company - with Fred Dean. How awesome is that?
- Ted Ginn Jr. has not been very good at all this season. He doesn't look fast or explosive, and he's not making smart decisions with the ball. That one-yard reception was possibly the best one-yard reception I've seen recently, though.
- People said Alex Smith was great because of his accuracy and propensity to not turn the ball over, and now they're bagging on Kaepernick for those same qualities. Finicky fans.
- That being said, it's very obvious that the change to Kaepernick has led to some changes in the gameplan, and they have not worked. Making the switch has hurt the team, though that doesn't mean they should switch back.
- Dashon Goldson missed Steven Jackson bad in the third quarter. Or rather, Jackson made Goldson miss.
- LOL 49ERS (turnover, second half - you know the one)
- Clearly, the St. Louis defender should have been down by contact.
- The 49ers are supposed to be all about ball control and protecting the football. Kaepernick sort of threw that out the window in the second half.
- 49ers did not deserve a win today.
- Brandon Jacobs is not very good.