As the 49ers prepare to play the Minnesota Vikings in their first preseason game of the 2012 season, I have a few things that I'll be watching during the game. Many people aren't interested in the preseason or wonder why people even watch the games.
For me it's a matter of answering some questions about players, not to mention getting to see my beloved team in their game-day uniforms in an NFL stadium...yeah, I'm a sports-nerd like that.
Here are a few things that I'll be watching closely and, if you need an excuse to be interested...you can steal my reasons.
- Can Alex Smith and Company move down the field for a scoring drive, achieving first-downs and looking productive in year two of Greg Roman's offense, utilizing the new weapons acquired, as well?
- How will Aldon Smith respond to playing against the run and dropping into coverage?
- Who looks best at the right guard spot, Alex Boone or Leonard Davis?
- Which backup safety looks most ready to take over if there were an injury to Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner?
- Which roster-bubble player(s) end the game "arrow-up", as Jim Harbaugh puts it? (I'm most interested in WR's Nathan Palmer and Chris Owusu, as well as safety Michael Thomas.)
- Can anyone handle a punt(s) without looking clueless?