The highlight of Tuesday's action for the United States swimming will be Michael Phelps going for medals in two more events in the 200 meter butterfly and the 4 x 200 meter freestyle relay. There aren't guarantees that Phelps will win either event, but a victory in both would give him the all-time record in medals with 19, passing Larisa Latynina who has 18.
There are two Bay Area swimmers from Cal who have a great shot at medalling in their respective events. Nathan Adrian of Cal gets started as one of the many favorites who can win the 100 meter freestyle for men, and should breeze through the heats to get to the semifinal. There is some uncertainty as to whether they'll be able to make the final. Caitlin Leverenz will be participating in the women's 200 meter IM final and should have a decent shot at medalling.
Here is the schedule of events for NBC. All times ET, so adjust accordingly (except for NBC; those will be the time the telecasts start).
4 a.m. - 8 p.m. (NBCSN)
- Men's Basketball: China vs. Russia (4 a.m.), France vs. Argentina (3 p.m.) , USA vs. Tunisia (5:15 p.m.)
- Equestrian: Eventing Team Jumping Final (6 a.m.), Eventing Individual Jumping Finals (9:15 a.m.)
- Men's Water Polo: Hungary vs. Montenegro (8:15 a.m.)
- Women's Soccer: USA vs. North Korea (12:15 p.m.)
- Beach Volleyball: Qualifying (2 p.m.)
- Men's Shooting: Skeet Gold Medal Final (4:45 p.m.)
7 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Bravo)
- Tennis: Second Round Singles and Doubles Quarterfinals
9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (MSNBC)
- Women's Table Tennis: Quarterfinal (9 a.m.)
- Women's Soccer: Canada vs. Sweden (9:30 a.m.), France vs. Columbia (12:15 p.m.), Great Britain vs. Brazil (3:30 p.m.)
- Badminton: Qualifying (11:15 a.m.)
- Women's Field Hockey: USA vs. Argentina (2 p.m.)
- Women's Table Tennis: Semifinal (4:30 p.m.)
- Men's Archery: Individual Elimination Round (5 p.m.)
- Weightlifting: Men's 69 kg, Women's 63 kg Classes (5:30 p.m.)
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (NBC)
- Men's Canoeing: Whitewater, C-1 Gold Medal Final (10 a.m.)
- Swimming: Qualifying (10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.)
- Rowing: Quarterfinals, semifinals, and repechages (11:15 a.m., 2 p.m.)
- Men's Volleyball: USA vs. Germany (11:45 a.m.)
- Men's Water Polo: USA vs. Romania (2:30 p.m.)
- Beach Volleyball: Qualifying (4 p.m.)
5 - 8 p.m. (CNBC)
- Boxing: Elimination Bouts (light flyweight and light welterweight classes)
8 p.m. - Midnight (NBC)
- Women's Gymnastics: Team Gold Medal Final
- Swimming: Gold Medal Finals (Men's 200m butterfly, 4x200m freestyle relay; Women's 200m freestyle, 200m individual medley)
- Women's Diving: Platform Synchronized Gold Medal Final
12:30 - 1:35 a.m. (NBC)
- Swimming: Semifinals (Women's 200m butterfly, Men's 200m breaststroke)
- Beach Volleyball: USA vs. TBD
For a complete tally of the medals won, use SI.com's Medal Tracker.
Stick with this StoryStream for more coverage of local athletes at the 2012 Olympic Games. For more on the 2012 Olympic Games, make sure that you check out SB Nation's dedicated Olympics hub.