LUCERNE, SWITZERLAND - MAY 25: Eleanor Logan (R) and Erin Cafaro (L) of USA row in the Women's Pair during Day 1 of the 2012 Samsung World Rowing Cup III on Lucerne Rotsee on May 25, 2012 in Lucerne, Switzerland. (Photo by Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Erin Cafaro, Mary Whipple and Zach Vlahos are some of the major rowing athletes participating in the London Summer Olympics.
The United States will be well-represented with Bay Area athletes in the 2012 London Olympics. There will be plenty of California Golden Bears and other representatives from the region. Here's a look at all the athletes participating.
- Zach Vlahos hails from Piedmont and attended school at Cal and will be the coxswain on the eight-man crew team. Silas Stafford went to school in Stanford and originally hails from Santa Ros and will also be on the eight man crew.
- Mary Whipple is from Sacramento and went to school in Washington. She's the coxswain for the women's eight.
- Erin Cafaro attended school at Cal and resides in Modesto. Cafaro has won a gold medal already in Beijing as a member of the women's eight crew and she'll be returning as a member of the eight boat in hopes of a repeat title.
- Julie Nichols went to school at Cal and hails from the Oakland area. Nichols will be competing in the lightweight women's double sculls.
- Kara Kohler is currently attending Cal and will be participating in the women's quadruple sculls.
- Anthony Fahden is from Oakland and went to school in Dartmouth. He'll be rowing in the lightweight men's four event.
- Scott Gault hails from Piedmont and attended the University of Washington. He's participating in the men's four.
For more on the 2012 Olympics, make sure to check out SB Nation's dedicated Olympics hub.